Table of Contents
- Best Wireless Printers Under $100
- Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose A Wireless Printer in 3 Easy Steps
- Wireless Printers: Set Up made Easy
- Maintaining Your Wireless Printer: Helpful Tips for Extended Life
Wires are so 2015.
In 2020, wireless is the name of the game.
Wireless smartphone chargers, wireless earphones, wireless gaming consoles, wireless keyboards, wireless Wi-Fi devices, and wireless speakers are some popular examples of wireless technology.
Wireless gadgets have gained popularity because of their convenience: they offer hassle-free setup, they are incredibly portable, they are easier to maintain, they can be accessed remotely, and they are cost-efficient.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly wireless printer to spruce up your workspace, then you have come to the right spot. This article will give you 7 fantastic recommendations for the best wireless printers under $100.
This article will also share tips and useful tidbits to help you choose, use, and maintain wireless printers.
Best Wireless Printers Under $100
|Printer Name||Weight||Editor's Score||Price|
|1. HP Officejet 3830||12.37 Pounds||9.10/10|
|2. Canon PIXMA TS5120||14.3 pounds||8.50/10|
|3. Brother HL-L2340DW||15.9 pounds||9.30/10|
|4. HP Envy 5055||11.93 pounds||8.50/10|
|5. Canon PIXMA MG3620||11.9 pounds||8.90/10|
|6. HP Officejet Pro 6978||17.9 pounds||8.50/10|
|7. Epson Expression XP-4100||11.5 pounds||9.50/10|
If you want to dig deeper into each product and figure out which one is the best for you, read the rest of the article. I’ll go through each model in extreme detail and educate you about features and other stuff.
So let’s get started! HP is our favorite when it comes to wireless printers in this range. So let’s first review a couple of models from HP.
1. HP Officejet 3830
- The main functions of this HP color...
- The power of your printer in the palm of...
- Ink delivered to your home: Get your...
- Print laser-quality documents and...
- Optional quiet mode helps keep noise to...
HP Officejet 3830 is an all-in-one printer; it has fax, printing, scan as well as photocopy, which makes it an excellent value for money printer.
The printer has several notable features, including easy and efficient wireless connectivity, high-yield cartridges, 35-sheet automatic document feeder, impressive photo quality, and an LCD touchscreen.
Let’s talk about connectivity first; this wireless printer can be connected to any desktop, laptop, and smart device through a built-in Wi-Fi connection.
The printer catches the network signals effortlessly, which makes it a hassle-free and user-friendly wireless printer.
Secondly, the printer is very efficient in its toner utilization. It has high-yield cartridges, which works up to 50% more efficient than the standard ink, this saves a lot of money.
Additionally, the printing quality of the printer is very impressive; it has a very smooth printing style that leaves no marks or smudges on the paper. Furthermore, it offers ‘4 x 6″ sized printing with high resolution.
It also offers borderless printing, which is an amazing and premium quality feature for home and office use.
Another useful feature is the ease-of-use this printer offers; the printer comes up with a disc for drivers, which is very handy for non-tech people as they can quickly get their printers ready with no difficulty.
I wrote a pretty detailed review on this model a few months check HP Officejet 3830 Review and you can pretty much make your decision based on my review to either consider it or not.
The printer is self-explanatory even though the screen isn’t very big, it’s very responsive. Thus it helps to complete your task quite effectively and with no errors!
Furthermore, it is an energy-efficient printer; it is energy star certified and saves up to 50% more energy than your regular printer.
Another way to some up money! The two-colour cartridges are a money saviour for some people as they don’t have to buy 4 cartridges, so no waste there as well!
HP Officejet 3830 is suitable for home and office use, but I would recommend it to home users for its high photo quality, easy setup, minimal maintenance requirements, and handsome design.
To make it more user-friendly, HP has developed a dedicated mobile app to set the setting of scanning and printing.
Even though we are reviewing printers under $100 but if you want to buy a high-end wireless printer, you should also consider HP Officejet pro 8710, it is pretty expensive but you get what you pay for as they say.
2. Canon PIXMA TS5120
- Enjoy the simplicity of connecting your...
- Compact size: The Pixma TS5120 is the...
- With features like AirPrint 2, auto...
- OS compatibility: Windows: Windows 10,...
Canon is a well-known brand, does have a wide range of quality wireless printers. The Canon TS5120 is a home, pocket-friendly printer that is pack full of features. It is a wireless printer as well as a copier and a scanner.
With its compact and composed look, it is very attention-grabbing, and people tend to buy it for its looks as well as its features.
The most prominent features include a lightweight and easy-to-use design, copier & scanner features, and its ability to print great quality text.
For a budget printer, the Canon PIXMA TS5120 is a reliable and great value option; the printer serves its purpose well by printing documents of excellent quality. It is not a photo printer, and so you cannot expect it to print high-quality pictures.
In Addition, it comes with two paper trays; this increases the efficiency of the printer and makes it ideal for office use as well.
The button and instructions are located on the top, which makes it very easy to operate. Additionally, printing is faster than the usual photo-glossy-printing. The Canon PIXMA TS5120 can print 27 ppm, this excellent speed is very suitable for a busy office environment.
This printer is a “budget all-in-one’ printer that is suitable at home, economical, and user-friendly. Furthermore, the copying and scanning speed of this printer is exceptional for its price.
The printer only has 2 cartridges; although this makes the picture quality is sub-par, 2 cartridges mean economical ink.
For non-tech savvy people, this printer is ideal; its easy setup and Wi-Fi connectivity makes it simple to operate.
You can always get help from the cannon mobile app to get you through your difficulties.
However, it does come with some negative aspects as well. The printer isn’t built to print out heavy-duty documents and doesn’t have Bluetooth connectivity.
It does sometimes get duller with every print, but then again, if you don’t like the product, it always comes with a 1-year warranty!
3. Brother HL-L2340DW
- Print more, wait less. Engineered for...
- Dynamic features accommodate your...
- Flexible printing. The manual feed slot...
- Printing as mobile as you are. Print...
- Connect your way. Versatile connection...
Brother HL-L2340DW is a compact monochrome multipurpose wireless laser printer. It has many impressive features, including a compact design, versatile connectivity options, 250 sheets capacity for higher efficiency, high-yield cartridge, and a 1-year limited warranty.
Brother HL-L2340DW wireless printer measures only 11.0″ x 17.2″ x 20.5″ and weighs 16 pounds. Its compact design increases its portability and enhances its value as an office printer.
Although it is small-sized, the company has made no compromise on the number or quality of features. In fact, it is on par with printers like premium printers like canon’s LBP162DW and Dell’s S2830dn.
The second great feature is its versatile connectivity. You can connect the printer wirelessly through your desktop computer, laptop, smartphone, or any other smart device.
It can be connected through its built-in Wi-Fi network as well as AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, and Brother’s own print app for smart devices. It can also be connected through a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 cable. One tiny flaw is that there is no ethernet port in this model.
Another fantastic feature is the large paper tray that can hold up to 250 sheets of paper so that printing is efficient. The high-yield cartridge refills also increase the efficiency of the printer; Brother claims that they print twice as much and last 2 times more than the average toner.
Finally, the printer has a limited manufacturer’s warranty of 1 year so you can rest easy about troubleshooting, customer support, and replacement parts.
The only flaw in this otherwise perfect printer is the lack of ethernet port, monochrome printing, and its clunky design.
If these things don’t bother you, then waste no time in purchasing this impressive printer! You can easily find it online or in a shop.
4. HP Envy 5055
- Replaces the HP ENVY 4520, HP ENVY 5055...
- Step up and create projects at home –...
- Ink delivered to your home: Get your...
- Our most powerful printing app ever: the...
- Stay connected, no matter what: Whether...
HP Envy 5055 is one of the newer models in a long list of budget-friendly wireless printers by HP.
This model is one of the most economical printers produced by HP; despite its low price, the printer has some formidable features including impressive photo quality, wireless connectivity, energy efficiency, easy cartilage handling, a compact design, and 1-year limited warranty.
Firstly, let’s take a look at design; the HP envy 5055 is a small-sized printer that does not take up much space. Its trim size and attractive design make it suitable for home and office use.
It looks like any other generic HP printer, but it works way better than any of the high-end ones.
The second impressive feature of this budget wireless printer is its picture quality; the printer produces crisp and detailed photo prints with bright and vivid colors.
The color quality is excellent; pictures and documents don’t fade away with time. HP provides a 100-year album life of its printers.
On the other hand, high-quality photo printing affects the speed of the printer. HP Envy 5055 can only print 10 pages per minute. The speed can go as low as 4ppm depending on the resolution setting of the photos. Although this speed is low, it is to be expected from a low-cost photo printer.
If you want high-quality photos at a low price, you will have to compromise on the speed. Keep in mind that low-speed printer gets jammed easily under high load; therefore, only buy this printer if you have light printing needs.
Remarkably, this budget-friendly printer comes with a 2-Inch LCD touch screen. In this price category, an LCD touch screen is a luxury. Although it is a monochrome screen, it is very responsive and easier to use. The touch screen enhances this printer’s ease-of-use.
Anyone can set up the printer and use it easily without complications. It hardly takes a few seconds to connect to a network and print, which makes it very efferent to its work. It is effortless to use, and the connectivity is functional too. You can always go to the HP mobile app to do it via your phone as well.
HP offers 24/7 support in case you run into any problems.
Another notable feature is memory support; most printers in this price category do not offer flash memory support or built-in memory.
The HP envy 5055, provides ample internal memory to store even larger files and increases its usability.
The printer doesn’t need only print, but it’s a budget-friendly, all in one printer which has a high resolution of copying and scanning as well.
This printer is valuable for its cost since it performs a lot of jobs effectively and smoothly without any error. It also comes with a year’s warranty, which makes it a reliable product.
5. Canon PIXMA MG3620
- Mobile device printing: Easily print...
- Quick and easy wireless setup
- Powerful printing options: Airprint,...
- Compact and space-saving design
- Print on both sides of the page with...
Canon PIXMA MG3620 is one of the most affordable and pocket-friendly printers by Cannon. It is a 3-in-1 printer; it can print, scan, and copy, which makes it a great value for money product.
Canon PIXMA MG3620 is known for its high-quality printing as well as high-quality scanning capabilities. Additionally, it is automated for two-sided printing, which saves up a lot of time. It also makes the color copies quickly, and the colors are very vibrant as well.
The printer produces good quality prints for text documents as well as photos; writing of the print is very clear, and it doesn’t dull with every subsequent print.
Although PIXMA MG3620 does not have an LCD touch screen, it is effortless to use. The suitably located buttons make operations easy and accessible.
Other tasks, such as installing drivers, setup files, and wireless connectivity, is not difficult at all. The printer is easy to set up; even home users with limited tech knowledge can set it up in no time.
This printer delivers a lot for its money. It has a razor-sharp image quality and amazing photo scans. It saves up a lot of money by just letting you print black ink, not use both.
Additionally, it has a USB port (2.00) port! Unlike many other printers in this category. The USB 2.0 supports increases the versatility of its connectivity. You can connect the printer through the wire to your computer, laptop, or other devices.
Furthermore, you can use the cannon app and control the printer from your phone. The connectivity of this printer is excellent and connects with Wi-Fi efferently. The print if fast and of good quality. With that, it also comes with a year warranty, you can go wrong with this one!
Despite these qualities, the Canon PIXMA MG3620 does have small flaws. Firstly, it jams under high-load. Although the speed is fine for the budget, it is not ideal for heavy printing. The printer will often hang, and paper will jam inside the printer on multiple commands.
Therefore, I will recommend it for light office use or personal use. If you have a heavy printing needs, consider increasing your budget.
6. HP Officejet Pro 6978
- Main functions of this HP color inkjet...
- Easily print when and where you need to...
- Ink delivered to your home: get your...
- Built for business; produce fast...
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 is ideal for the...
HP Officejet Pro 6978 is an affordable printer with excellent quality. It is an all-in-one printer with print, scan, and copy features. All three features of the printer are of good quality; the print, scan, and copy resolution of the printer are high, making it an excellent value for the money printer.
As with most HP printers, you can only put the HP instant Ink into it. Although the instant ink system is efficient, it is also costly unless you have a subscription. It could be a little expensive for home users, but office users who have the subscription can enjoy efficient printing at a low cost.
The most remarkable feature of this printer is its speed and ability to print efficiently under heavy load. Despite being economical, this printer does not get jammed upon multiple commands.
I recommend it for offices because it won’t get stuck, no matter how many prints prompts are being sent its way.
It is also suitable for office because of its versatile connectivity options; It has the connectivity option of WIFI ethernet as well as single PC wire which comes very handy at times. WIFI direct, AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, HPePrint, and other compatible app support enhances connectivity and usability of the printer.
Additional features include automated document feeder, auto double-sided printing, responsive touch screen, and efficient paper handling.
This printer is a bit expensive and might not fall under $100 category printer. But it is pretty good option if you want to spend some extra dollars and get something cool.
Finally, the printer has a 2-year limited warranty as well, which makes it reliable. HP’s support is impressive, and you won’t have any issues with replacement, refund, or returns.
7. Epson Expression XP-4100
- This printer is designed for use with...
- Save time and paper auto 2 sided...
- Simple setup and navigation high res 2....
- Complete wireless solution easily print...
- Affordable individual ink cartridges...
Epson Expression Home XP-4100 is one of the most budget-friendly printers with multiple features. It is an all in one printer which does scanning, copying, and printing.
The printer is suitable for home use, art students, and small business owners with photo printing needs because of its exceptional quality and clear photo print.
The cartridges used in this isn’t expensive and lasts up to 4500-7500 pages, which is an excellent value for the money feature.
The printer is on the auto-connect setting with the Wi-Fi direct, and it will print as soon as you demand the file. It is very responsive and fast.
This printer is hassle-free, and the touchscreen makes it easier to use; you don’t need to do a lot of the set up as well, and it is easily installed within a few minutes.
Furthermore, the scan quality is also outstanding. The picture quality on glossy paper is exceptional and shows the colors vividly. It is good because it’s very compact and doesn’t take a lot of space and is lightweight.
It has ample memory storage, so you can print larger files without the fear of blockage.
This product has a 1-year warranty and is very much suited for personal home use.
Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose A Wireless Printer in 3 Easy Steps
1: Consider Printer Quality
Irrespective of whether the printer is wired or wireless, the first thing you should look for is the quality of the printer.
Printer quality is determined by the quality or resolution of the printed image. The higher the resolution, the better your printed image will be.
To understand, compare a picture you took from iPhone 7 or 8 with your latest iPhone. You will immediately notice a difference in color accuracy, brightness, clarity, and detailing of the two images.
Newer phones have higher resolution cameras, and therefore, pictures are of a higher quality.
Similarly, the higher the resolution of the printer, the better your printed image is going to be. Higher quality images are more accurate, they look amazing, and they last longer.
When considering printer quality, look at the following factors:
- Image Quality
You can analyze the image quality of a printer by looking at its dpi (Dots Per Inch). Dpi represents the number of dots a printer prints on each inch; the higher the dpi, the higher the print quality.
You can find printers with 300 x 300 or 600 x 600 dpi in a $100 budget. Higher dpi printers can be purchased for more money.
- Ink Quality
The printer’s use of ink also affects the quality of a printed image. You should find answers to the following questions:
- What type of ink is being used? Printer ink is of two types: (i) pigment-based inks and (ii) coloring-agent based inks. Pigment-based inks are of superior quality, but they may only be available in premium printers.
- How Many cartridges are in the printer? Basic printers have only 2 cartridges; one black and a 3-in-1 for colors. Better quality printers have 4 cartridges; black, cyan, magenta, and yellow. Needless to say, 4 cartridge printers produce higher quality pictures than 2 cartridge printers.
If you are so concerned about ink quality you should consider my guide about best printer with cheap ink
- Type of Printer
The technology of the printer also affects print quality. There are three types of printers: (i) laserjet printers, (ii) laser printers, and (iii) dye-sublimation printers. The type of printer depends on your usage.
A laserjet is a multipurpose printer for documents as well as photos. A laser printer only prints documents, whereas a sublimation printer is a dedicated photo printer.
The photo quality of a dye sublimation printer is higher than a LaserJet printer. Similarly, a laserjet printer produces higher quality documents. Keep these facts in mind before making your purchase.
2. Consider the Type, Speed, and Quality of the Wireless Connection
A wireless printer is hassle-free, portable, and more accessible than wired printers. However, a wireless printer can be slow. Before purchasing a wireless printer, consider the following:
- Is It a Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Web-Based, or Smartphone Connectivity Printer? Modern wireless printers can be accessed through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connections. Some printers support wireless printing through web-based printing; you can print documents or photos directly from your cloud storage. Similarly, some printers are enabled with smartphone connectivity; they have features like Air Print, which allow you to print wirelessly from your phone.
- Does the printer have a built-in Wi-Fi? Most modern printers do have built-in Wi-Fi. However, some models don’t. You may have to connect these models through your home or work Wi-Fi router. Sharing the router can affect printing speed. This means that since multiple devices will be using the same bandwidth, prints may come out slowly. You can rectify this by using a dedicated Wi-Fi only for the printer.
- What is the Range of the Wireless Printer? How far do you have to be to remotely access the Wireless printer? 100 meters is considered a suitable range for WIFI devices. Printers with a small range are not that practical.
- What is the Speed of the Wireless Connection? A speed of more than 150 Mbps and higher is considered appropriate. Low-speed wireless connections mean that the printing process will be slow and inefficient.
- Is the wireless connection stable? Have you ever been to a place with a poor Wi-Fi connection? The signals keep dropping, and you frequently have to tap the Wi-Fi setting to reconnect your phone. The same thing can happen with your printer if the connection is not stable. It can be annoying, but more than that, it will disrupt printing. Imagine you are in the middle of printing, and the connection drops. Your print will be stuck until the connection is established again.
As we saw above, a poor-quality wireless printer is more trouble than its worth. To be on the safe side, it’s worth considering buying a printer that supports both wired and wireless connections.
Most printers are hybrid printers, and therefore you will have a large selection to choose from. In our expert opinion, it is better to purchase a hybrid printer than a dedicated wireless printer.
Like if you are buying it for kids, you really don’t need a wireless printer. You can get a normal printer pretty cheap. Please check my guide about Best 3d printer under $300 it is great resources if you are buying in this range.
Wireless Printers: Set Up made Easy
Step 1: Connecting the Wireless Printer to Wi-Fi Network
If your printer does not have a built-in Wi-Fi then you will need to connect it to your Wi-Fi connection. Here is how you do it:
- Select settings on the LCD screen of your printer
- Open Network Settings or Network Connections
- Select Wi-Fi Setup
- Select Wi-Fi Setup Wizard
- Your printer will begin to search for nearby Wi-Fi Connections. Once the available connections are displayed, choose your Wi-Fi connection and enter the password.
- You are connected!
In case your printer does not have an LCD screen, follow the steps given below to set up a Wi-Fi connection:
- Take a USB 2.0 cable and insert one end into the printer and the other into your computer/laptop.
- Depending on the model and make of the printer, Wi-Fi setup wizard file is either available in CD or in a downloadable installer file.
- Follow the instructions on the Wizard setup on your laptop to connect your printer to the Wi-Fi connection.
- Once the printer is connected, remove the USB cable. You are good to go!
Step 2: Connect the Wireless Printer to Your Computer/Laptop
If you are using a Windows computer, use the following steps to connect your printer to your computer:
- Select the Start menu
- Depending on your version of the windows, select Settings or Control Panel
- Select Devices or Devices and Printers
- Select Add a Printer
- Your computer will search for available printers nearby. Select your printer from the list and then select Add Device
- Voila! Your computer is now connected to your printer. Multiple devices (usually 7-10) can connect to the printer through this method.
If you are using an Apple computer, then follow the subsequent steps to establish a Wi-Fi connection:
- Select the Apple symbol on your Apple computer
- Select System Preferences
- Select printers & Scanners
- Select + to add a printer.
- Your computer will start to search for available printers. Once a list of printers available, select your printer.
- This is it, folks, you are connected to the printer!
Step 3: Connect the Wireless Printer to Your Smartphone/Smart Device
Technology is an amazing thing; it has made it possible for you to print directly from your phone. Now you can connect your phone or any other smart device to your printer through mobile applications or Apps.
Here is what you do:
- Install a mobile application that is compatible with your smart device. Most manufacturers have their own apps; for instance, Canon and HP both have their phone printer apps. Apple users can download Air Print to avail of the same service.
- Once you have installed the mobile application, follow the steps to connect to the printer. Each mobile app may have different but easy to follow steps.
Another popular method is to print directly from the web. Google Cloud Print is a mobile application that allows you to print web documents directly. You can download the application to avail of this service.
Maintaining Your Wireless Printer: Helpful Tips for Extended Life
Maintenance is necessary to ensure the longevity of any machine. If you want to make sure that your printer works reliably for a long time, then you take good care.
Here are a few useful tips that can help keep your printer running for a long time:
- Tip 1: Location
You must always keep your printer in a dry place that is away from moisture or direct sunlight. Most printers come with the recommended temperature, read it carefully, and place your printer accordingly. Too much heat and moisture can damage your printer.
Secondly, place it in a location where it’s out of reach from young children, pets, or clumsy colleagues. Accidental spills and bumps may damage the printer.
- Tip 2: Dust Regularly
Keep your printer clean; one way to do it is dust it regularly (once or twice a week). You can use a microfiber cloth for dusting; it is excellent at removing dirt that gets stuck in fan slits or tiny nooks of the printer.
For deep cleaning, you may also use a small vacuum cleaner. The vacuum cleaner will suck dust and debris even from inside the printer.
Cleaning ensures that dust and debris do not get stuck in the mechanism. If stuck, they can affect printing quality and performance.
- Tip 3: Clean Printer Heads and Ink Nozzles
You need to clean printer heads and ink nozzles to make sure that they don’t become clogged. At times, the ink dries on ink nozzles, so they are unable to print correctly. Your print may come out missing details even though the ink cartridges are full.
Its good practice to clean them once a month to ensure high-quality prints every time. Always unplug your printer before undertaking maintenance activities.
- Tip 4: Check & Clean Rollers
Printer rollers may wear down with repeated use. When the tray rollers become smooth, the paper starts to jam inside the printer. Replacing the roller will solve the problem. You can find replacement rollers easily; they are available from the manufacturer or third-party vendors.
- Tip 5: Choose Good Quality Inks and Paper
Just like poor quality food damages our health, inferior quality consumables (like ink and paper) damage the printer. High-quality Ink and paper are expensive, but they are less likely to damage your printer. Therefore, always purchase high-quality consumables for your printer to ensure longevity.
- Tip 6: Use Carefully
If you use your printer carefully, it will last you far longer. Follow good practices like handling the printer with care, using it with clean hands, removing and replacing parts carefully, and keeping it covered, etc.
- Tip 7: Invest in a Maintenance Kit
A printer maintenance kit comes with essentials like spare rollers, cooling fans, corona units, plastic tools, cleaning cloths, and gloves, etc. The maintenance kit comes in handy for light cleaning as well as correcting mechanical problems.
- Tip 8: Power Off when Not in Use
Turn your printer off when it is not in use; this action will extend the life of its parts. It will also save energy!